What is DAS? DAS stands for Digital Apprenticeship Service, something ALL employers need to sign up to and create an account in order to hire and apprentice, access funding and manage applicants and vacancies.
There are a few things you’ll need before you create your account:
- an email address you have access to
- the Government Gateway login for your organisation (or you can use the accounts office reference number and employer PAYE scheme reference number if your annual pay bill is less than £3 million)
- authority to add PAYE schemes to the account
- authority to accept the employer agreement on behalf of your organisation
The gov site will then ask you to
- create an account
- add a PAYE scheme on behalf of your organisation
- accept the employer agreement with the ESFA
Not sure how to get a PAYE reference number?
If you are a small employer who does not pay the apprenticeship levy, you will need your PAYE scheme reference number (also known as ERN number) and your account office reference number (AORN).
If your business has no employees, then you may not have a PAYE scheme reference number. You will need to register as an employer with HMRC to receive your PAYE scheme reference number.
Setting up once or if you have a PAYE scheme reference number
If you have recently received a PAYE scheme reference number, you need to complete some steps before setting up your apprenticeship service account:
- submit at least one payroll return to HMRC using their basic PAYE tool(this can be a blank employer payment summary if you are not yet employing someone)
- notify HMRC that you will be taking on an apprentice under your business’s PAYE and submit the data
Now you should be good to go? Set up your account here and follow the instructions
Once you have your account, you’ll be able to:
- access and manage your apprenticeship funding and receive funds where eligible
- advertise vacancies on find an apprenticeship (or allow KIETS to do this on your behalf to save you time)
- choose an apprenticeship training course to suit your business with the help of KEITS experts
- select suitable end-point assessment organisations for your apprentices
- give your staff members and/or KEITS access and permissions to help run the account
More information on setting up, managing funding, if you are a levy paying employer and further help can be found here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/manage-apprenticeship-funds
A useful video guide can also be found here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC3RzRrvgoc